Sacred Heart Center in Richmond, VA is seeking a Part-Time Spanish Conversational Instructor for Adult Students.
About Sacred Heart Center
SHC connects Latino families with tools to thrive and flourish. Our work manifests through: A continuum of educational opportunities for adults, innovative programs for youth and children, and strategic partnerships to meet community needs. We envision a Richmond community that actively embraces each other in our shared humanity.
To implement and deliver an engaging, appropriate, and quality curriculum for Spanish language adult students, either basic or intermediate levels. This position reports to the Adult Education Programs Coordinator.
- Teach consistently high quality lessons.
- Prepare and submit lesson plans for the class at least a week in advance to the Adult Education Program Coordinator.
- Arrive early to be able to prepare the classroom, materials & lesson plans, along with teaching assistant.
- Attend welcome meeting with students on the first day of class, held at SHC.
- Speak only in Spanish during the class, using gestures, sounds and leveled language to communicate.
Assessment, Feedback and Tracking:
- Document and give written/verbal and diagnostic feedback as required.
- Assess, record and report on the attendance, progress, development and attainment of students and to keep such records as are required.
- Inform Adult Education Program Coordinator about tours or any activities outside the SHC with at least two weeks in advanced, for logistics purposes.
- Talk with fellow teachers and SHC staff about any problems or challenges that occur.
- Call students that aren’t attending class to find out why or let staff know which students to call.
- Keep lesson plans, progress notes & attendance in the class binders.
Student Support and Progress:
- Promote the general progress and well-being of individual students in the class.
- Work with students to ensure that they become more confident speaking in the Spanish language.
- Work with students in basic level to ensure that they are comfortable having conversations about daily activities.
- Work with students in intermediate level to ensure that they are comfortable presenting in Spanish, having conversations over the phone, and keeping conversations for at least 30 minutes.
- Work towards student retention at least 70% or above.
- Work to ensure that students indicate they are satisfied or highly satisfied with their experience in this course/
Keys to Success:
- 100% follow-through
- Engaging classroom teaching skills
- Customer service orientation, and ability to connect with diverse adult students
- Positive attitude, solution-focused, and flexibility
Experience and Attributes:
Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to our mission and to our values of compassion, inclusion, equity, and collaboration, and have related experience, including:
- High school diploma, college degree preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Teaching experience, especially teaching Spanish to speakers of other languages.
- Experience working in multicultural environments
- Ability to incorporate cultural elements from various Latin American countries into the lesson plan.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for SHC’s mission
Schedule: Monday/Wednesday 6:00-8:45pm, Sept 17 – Nov 26, 2018. Classes are 6:30-8:30pm. Pay will also include one hour of preparation per class.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume by email to:
Claudia Guerrero Barrera
Sacred Heart Center