Bus Driver/General Maintenance Worker will provide safe transportation to and from program sites while maintaining a supportive and positive atmosphere. During time not driving, staff will perform general maintenance tasks in the Sacred Heart Center building.
Bus Driver/General Maintenance Worker is responsible for conducting themselves in an appropriate manner, and setting a positive example for children, parents and co-workers.
About Sacred Heart Center
SHC connects Latino families with tools to thrive and flourish. Our work manifests through: A continuum of educational opportunities for adults, innovative programs for youth and children, and strategic partnerships to meet community needs. We envision a Richmond community that actively embraces each other in our shared humanity.
The Bus Driver/General Maintenance Worker will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Drives bus safely according to SHC policies and procedures and state laws.
- Completes thorough before-and-after trip checks each day and record all information.
- Records gas level, mileage, and maintenance on designated forms, when necessary.
- Makes sure bus is clean at the end of a trip.
- Promotes safety at all times by keeping first aid supplies fully stocked.
- Ensures that bus rules are announced and followed.
- Develops friendly and positive relationships among staff, volunteers, parents, and children. Communicates regularly with other staff members and supervisor.
- Comply with all emergency procedures appropriate to the bus and in conformity with procedures adopted by emergency service authorities to ensure the safety of the children and staff
- Consistently demonstrate positive interaction with all children and adults; talk to them and treat them with dignity and respect
- During the time not driving (in between routes): Maintains, services and conducts minor repairs on buildings and equipment.
- During the time not driving (in between routes): Performs a variety of semiskilled duties in the areas of carpentry, painting, plastering, or cleaning.
Experience and Attributes:
Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to our mission and to our values of compassion, inclusion, equity, and collaboration, and have related experience, including:
- HS Diploma or General Equivalent Diploma
- Possess Virginia driver’s license
- Knowledge of the rules/guidelines related to passenger vehicles (bus).
- To keep confidences, loyalties and practice professionalism.
- Be reliable and dependable.
- Able to drive safely and within the required posted speed limit.
- Possess a valid license, current insurance, and a clean driving record; able to pass a defensive driving course.
- Basic knowledge or experience in general maintenance work preferred.
- Work a flexible schedule to meet program staffing/planning needs.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
- Exercise mature judgment and sound decision making.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to safely drive a bus for short/long periods of time.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
Schedule: Monday/Wednesday 5:00-10:00pm, Tuesday/Thursday 5:30 – 9:30 pm
Salary: Commensurate with experience, part-time position, 4 afternoons/evenings per week during the week. Occasional opportunity for weekend hours for special field trips.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume by email to: Claudia Guerrero Barrera, Sacred Heart Center, Claudia_Guerrero@shcrichmond.org