Sacred Heart Center
Position: Bus driver
Salary: Commensurate with experience, part-time position, approximately 20 hours per week on a set schedule, some days and evenings. Occasional opportunity for weekend hours for special field trips.
About Sacred Heart Center
SHC connects Latino families with tools to thrive and flourish. Our work manifests through: A continuum of educational opportunities for adults, innovative programs for youth and children, and strategic partnerships to meet community needs. We envision a Richmond community that actively embraces each other in our shared humanity.
Bus Drivers will provide safe transportation to and from program sites while maintaining a supportive and positive atmosphere. Bus Drivers are responsible for conducting themselves in an appropriate manner, and setting a positive example for children, parents and co-workers.
The Bus Driver will have the following primary responsibilities:
GENERAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Drives bus safely according to SHC policies and procedures and state laws.
- Completes thorough before-and-after trip checks each day and record all information.
- Records gas level, mileage, and maintenance on designated forms, when necessary.
- Makes sure bus is clean at the end of a trip.
- Promotes safety at all times by keeping first aid supplies fully stocked.
- Ensures that bus rules are announced and followed.
- Develops friendly and positive relationships among staff, volunteers, parents, and children. Communicates regularly with other staff members and supervisor.
- Comply with all emergency procedures appropriate to the bus and in conformity with procedures adopted by emergency service authorities to ensure the safety of the children and staff
- Consistently demonstrate positive interaction with all children and adults; talk to them and treat them with dignity and respect
- During the time not driving (in between routes): May be assigned other administrative or operational tasks, as appropriate.
Experience and Attributes:
Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to our mission and to our values of compassion, inclusion, equity, and collaboration, and have related experience, including:
- HS Diploma or General Equivalent Diploma
- Possess Virginia driver’s license & a good driving record
- Knowledge of the rules/guidelines related to passenger vehicles (bus).
- To keep confidences, loyalties and practice professionalism.
- Be reliable and dependable.
- Able to drive safely and within the required posted speed limit.
- Possess a valid license, current insurance, and a clean driving record; able to pass a defensive driving course.
- Basic knowledge or experience in general maintenance work preferred.
- Work a flexible schedule to meet program staffing/planning needs.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
- Exercise mature judgment and sound decision making.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to safely drive a bus for short/long periods of time.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and a copy of their driving record by email to:
Claudia Guerrero Barrera