Position: Evening Programs Assistant
Extended Closing date for receipt of application: Wednesday May 22 at midnight EDT
Salary: Commensurate with experience, part-time position
About Sacred Heart Center
SHC connects Latino families with tools to thrive and flourish. Our work manifests through: A continuum of educational opportunities for adults, innovative programs for youth and children, and strategic partnerships to meet community needs. We envision a Richmond community that actively embraces each other in our shared humanity.
The Evening Program Assistant ensures that the programs at the Sacred Heart Center, held in the evening, run smoothly. The Evening Program Assistant will advise instructors and consult with students, ensuring that logistics are in place to have the programs operate successfully. The programs included are English as a Second Language, GED in Spanish, Citizenship, Spanish literacy, Computer literacy, Conversational Spanish, Latino Leadership Institute, and the childcare that is offered to parents in these classes. Providing oversight of occasional partner events/meetings is also in the purview of this position. This position reports to the Adult Education Programs Coordinator.
- Be the key point of contact at the SHC during evening classes and programs.
- Supervise SHC classroom staff and teaching volunteers, ensuring the quality of the programs.
- Ensure that all programs, staff, and volunteers are operating according to relevant policies and procedures.
- Register and enroll students during registration periods, taking care to match students with appropriate program and level.
- Guide students with their personal, long-term goals and have conversations with them to check on their satisfaction level with the classes.
- Observe classes and give feedback to teachers.
- Work closely with key SHC staff to ensure evening classes and events are implemented and running appropriately.
- Support other Center educational programs on an as needed basis
- Work as part of a team with other SHC staff to accomplish overall organizational goals
Keys to Success:
• Customer service orientation, and ability to connect with people from different cultures
• Attention to detail
• Positive attitude, solution-focused, and flexibility
Experience and Attributes:
is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with adult education
experience to grow and help programs that are positively impacting our
community. Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment
to our mission and to our values of compassion, inclusion, equity, and
collaboration, and have related experience, including:
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 2-3 years of experience in Adult Education or English as a Second/Foreign Language, or related experience
- Bilingual in Spanish and English, bicultural
- Highly organized, analytical, IT-competent – proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details, a strong customer service focus, excellent follow-up, and an ability to work with diverse groups in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently, time management and organizational skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for SHC’s mission
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to collaborate with others
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 5 to 9 pm
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume by email to:
Claudia Guerrero Barrera
Sacred Heart Center