Position: Adult Education Program Assistant
Salary: Commensurate with experience, full-time position
About Sacred Heart Center
SHC connects Latino families with tools to thrive and flourish. Our work manifests through: A continuum of educational opportunities for adults, innovative programs for youth and children, and strategic partnerships to meet community needs. We envision a Richmond community that actively embraces each other in our shared humanity.
The Adult Education Program Assistant provides support to Adult Education programs and ensures that the programs at the Sacred Heart Center, held in the evening, run smoothly. The Adult Education Program Assistant will advise instructors and consult with students, ensuring that logistics are in place to have the programs operate successfully. The programs included are English as a Second Language, GED in Spanish, Citizenship, Spanish literacy, Computer literacy, Conversational Spanish, Latino Leadership Institute, and the childcare that is offered to parents in these classes. Providing oversight of occasional partner events/meetings is also in the purview of this position. This position reports to the Adult Education Programs Coordinator.
- Be the key point of contact at the SHC during evening classes and programs.
- Supervise SHC classroom staff and teaching volunteers, ensuring the quality of the programs.
- Work closely with key SHC staff to ensure evening classes and events are implemented and running appropriately.
- Work as part of a team with other SHC staff to accomplish overall organizational goals.
- Follow and uphold all procedures and protocols related to programs established by Adult Ed Program Coordinator.
- Ensure that all programs, staff, and volunteers are operating according to relevant policies and procedures.
- Report to Adult Ed Coordinator each night summarizing nightly activities and events regarding programs, teachers, students, and Center.
- Perform administrative tasks such as answering phones, responding to inquiries about programs, completing necessary paperwork for programs.
- Assist in planning, organizing, and carrying out duties necessary for trimester registration process for all Adult Ed programs.
- Register and enroll students during registration periods, taking care to match students with appropriate program and level.
- Use database to assign new/returning students to classes
- Generate rosters for all classes and keep them updated/organized
- Participate in and lead teacher meetings/trainings as needed, with direction and support of Adult Ed Program Coordinator
- Work on curriculum planning, as needed, for all programs included in Adult Education portfolio
- Work in conjunction with Adult Ed Program Coordinator to track outcomes, gathering and analyzing data used for reporting on grants that fund programs
- Observe classes and give feedback to teachers
- Help teachers administer student surveys and compile data
- Guide students with their personal, long-term goals and have conversations with them to check on their satisfaction level with the classes
- Refer clients to appropriate person of contact at Center for other services unrelated to education
- Support other Center educational programs on an as needed basis
- Have a positive and solution-oriented mindset
Keys to Success:
• 100% follow-through
• Customer service orientation, and ability to connect with people from different cultures
• Attention to detail
• Positive attitude, solution-focused, and flexibility
Experience and Attributes:
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with adult education experience to grow and help programs that are positively impacting our community. Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to our mission and to our values of compassion, inclusion, equity, and collaboration, and have related experience, including:
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 2-3 years of experience in Adult Education or English as a Second/Foreign Language, or related experience
- Bilingual in Spanish and English, bicultural
- Highly organized, analytical, IT-competent – proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details, a strong customer service focus, excellent follow-up, and an ability to work with diverse groups in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently, time management and organizational skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for SHC’s mission
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to collaborate with others
Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 1:30pm to 9:30 pm & Friday, 9:00am to 5:00 pm
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume by email to:
Sacred Heart Center