Sacred Heart Center in Richmond, Virginia is seeking a Part-Time GED Language Arts Instructor for Adult Students. This position is open to internal Sacred Heart Center Staff only.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, part-time position
About Sacred Heart Center
SHC connects Latino families with tools to thrive and flourish. Our work manifests through: A continuum of educational opportunities for adults, innovative programs for youth and children, and strategic partnerships to meet community needs. We envision a Richmond community that actively embraces each other in our shared humanity.
To implement and deliver an engaging, appropriate, and quality curriculum for GED language arts adult students, in Spanish. This position reports to the Adult Education Programs Coordinator.
- Teach consistently high quality lessons.
- Prepare and submit lesson plans for the class at least a week in advance to the Adult Education Program Coordinator.
- Arrive early to be able to prepare the classroom, materials & lesson plans.
- Attend welcome meeting with students on the first day of class, held at SHC.
Assessment, Feedback and Tracking:
- Document and give written/verbal and diagnostic feedback as required.
- Assess, record and report on the attendance, progress, development and attainment of students and to keep such records as are required.
- Talk with fellow teachers and SHC staff about any problems or challenges that occur.
- Call students that aren’t attending class to find out why or let staff know which students to call.
- Keep lesson plans, progress notes & attendance in the class binders.
Student Support and Progress:
- Promote the general progress and well-being of individual students in the class.
- Work with students to ensure that they are prepared to take and pass the GED subject matter test.
- Assist students in registering for their GED exam and maintain a list of the students with their exam date and their outcome.
- Work towards student retention at least 80% or above.
- Work to ensure that students indicate they are satisfied or highly satisfied with their experience in this course.
Keys to Success:
- 100% follow-through
- Engaging classroom teaching skills
- Customer service orientation, and ability to connect with diverse adult students
- Positive attitude, solution-focused, and flexibility
Experience and Attributes:
Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to our mission and to our values of compassion, inclusion, equity, and collaboration, and have related experience, including:
- Bachelor’s Degree. Bachelor’s or Master’s in Education preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, at a native Spanish speaking level
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Teaching experience, especially teaching GED
- Experience working in multicultural environments
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for SHC’s mission
Schedule: Monday/Wednesday 5:45 to 9:15 pm, Sept 17 – Nov 26, 2018. Classes are 6 – 9 pm. Pay will also include one hour of preparation per class.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume by email to:
Claudia Guerrero Barrera
Sacred Heart Center