Join our team: Bilingual Community Health Worker
Closing date for receipt of application: Open until filled
Salary: Commensurate with experience, full-time with benefits
The Bilingual Community Health Worker (BCHW) will be an integral part of the Family Support Program within the Outreach and Community Initiatives portfolio at Sacred Heart Center. This new position will provide individualized, culturally affirming health-related case management for Latino families, connecting them to health services and resources that will help them achieve and/or maintain vibrant wellness and health, and advocate for them as they navigate health and social services systems. The BCHW will support Sacred Heart Center’s ongoing efforts to provide culturally affirming and compassionate health and wellness education and awareness, including in, but not limited to, the areas of COVID-19, vaccines, recovery from the impact of the pandemic, Medicaid benefits, and safety-net health clinics.
The Bilingual Community Health Worker will have the following primary responsibilities:
Provide health-related case management to program participants
- Conduct in-person and phone outreach, screening, and intake
- Assess participants’ health-related needs and barriers and identify internal and external resources and services that are consistent with each participants’ identified needs
- Empower participants to set health-related goals, provide education and support in meeting those goals, and facilitate access to the needed resources and services for achieving and/or maintaining good health
- Educate and assist participants in scheduling health-related appointments and applying for/accessing all state and federal health care-related benefits and all government, private, and nonprofit health programs for which they are eligible
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with participants to assess progress towards health goals; document all communications and encounters with participants
- Continuously expands knowledge and understanding of community health resources and services.
- Builds and maintains relationships with agencies representatives, healthcare providers, and referral sources
Support Sacred Heart Center’s efforts to provide welcoming, culturally affirming access to COVID-19 vaccination
- Conduct in-person and phone outreach to Sacred Heart Center community to provide information on COVID-19 prevention and recovery as well as opportunities for vaccination and testing
- Assist with coordination of onsite vaccination events, including pre-event and follow-up/2nd dose outreach strategies and day-of customer service and logistics support
Support Sacred Heart Center’s efforts to provide culturally affirming education and awareness regarding health topics and connect community members with culturally affirming health care
- Develop and conduct educational presentations in-person – both at the Center and in the community as well as via social media and our weekly radio programs
- Identify community resources such as transportation, childcare, and language access that overcome barriers to care
- Maintain resource and referral list of culturally affirming providers with Spanish language support
Other responsibilities connected to grant participation and funding reports may be assigned as necessary.
Keys to Success
Very detailed and we l-organized; strong multi-tasking ability Culturally affirming customer service orientation
Positive attitude, solution-focused, flexibility
Experience and Attributes
Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to our mission and to our values of compassion, inclusion, equity, and collaboration, and have related experience, including:
- Bilingual advanced proficiency in Spanish and English required. Bicultural preferred.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. issued by state department of education and two years of work experience in a customer-focused health services field with proven experience in advocating for families, particularly with government agencies and other community support resources.
- Knowledge of community agencies and resources.
- Exemplary record of strong communication and interpersonal skills and compassionate customer service focus, excellent follow-up, and an ability to work and connect with individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences in a courteous and professional manner, and forge strong relationships.
- Prior experience as a CHW or similar role or previous course training as a CHW preferred.
- Highly organized, analytical, IT-competent – proficient in Microsoft Office programs, the Google work suite, Apricot case management software, and ability to learn new programs as needed.
- Ability to organize and maintain detailed records, including case notes, complete necessary paperwork, and meet deadlines.
- Personal qualities of empathy, integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for SHC’s mission and values.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume by email to:
Julia Cramer, Coordinator of Outreach and Community Initiatives Programs