who we are
Join Our Team
Position: Bus driver
Salary: Commensurate with experience, part-time position, approximately 20 hours per week on a set schedule, including evenings. Occasional opportunity for weekend hours for special field trips.
Bus Drivers will provide safe transportation to and from program sites while maintaining a supportive and positive atmosphere. Bus Drivers are responsible for conducting themselves in an appropriate manner, and setting a positive example for children, parents and co-workers.
The Bus Driver will have the following primary responsibilities:
GENERAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Drives bus safely, adhering to all traffic rules and regulations, according to SHC policies and procedures and state laws.
- Comply with the organization’s policies and procedures, especially those related to passenger safety and confidentiality.
- Conduct pre-trip and post-trip inspections of the bus to ensure its safety and report any maintenance or repair needs.
- Maintain and record accurate records of gas level, routes, mileage, maintenance, and passenger counts.
- Ensure the cleanliness and tidiness of the bus interior at all time
- Promotes safety at all times by keeping first aid supplies fully stocked.
- Ensures that bus rules are announced and followed.
- Develops friendly and positive relationships among staff, volunteers, parents, and children. Communicates regularly with other staff members and supervisors.
- Comply with all emergency procedures appropriate to the bus and in conformity with procedures adopted by emergency service authorities to ensure the safety of the children and staff
- Consistently demonstrate positive interaction with all children and adults; talk to them and treat them with dignity and respect
- During the time not driving (in between routes): May be assigned other administrative or operational tasks, as appropriate.
- Attends training sessions and workshops as needed to stay updated on safe driving practices and regulations.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Experience and Attributes:
Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to our mission and to our values of compassion, inclusion, equity, and collaboration, and have related experience, including:
- HS Diploma or General Equivalent Diploma.
- Possess Virginia driver’s license & a good driving record.
- Knowledge of the rules/guidelines related to passenger vehicles (bus).
- To keep confidences, loyalties and practice professionalism.
- Be reliable and dependable.
- Able to drive safely and within the required posted speed limit.
- Possess a valid license, current insurance, and a clean driving record; able to pass a defensive driving course.
- Basic knowledge or experience in general maintenance work preferred.
- Work a flexible schedule to meet program staffing/planning needs.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
- Exercise mature judgment and sound decision making.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to safely drive a bus for short/long periods of time.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Ability to sit for extended periods while driving the bus.
- Physical dexterity and coordination to operate vehicle controls and maneuver the bus safely.
- Frequent reaching, grasping, and twisting motions to operate doors, mirrors, and other vehicle components.
- Ability to climb in and out of the bus multiple times during shifts.
- Physical strength and stamina to assist passengers with mobility challenges, including helping them board and disembark the bus and securing mobility devices.
- Ability to lift appx and carry materials, such as assisting passengers with belongings or packages.
- Clear vision, including both close and distant vision, to ensure safe driving and reading of road signs.
- Clear hearing to communicate effectively with passengers and respond to auditory signals on the road.
- Ability to work in various weather conditions, including exposure to heat, cold, rain, and wind while performing pre-trip inspections or assisting passengers.
- Alertness and mental focus to drive safely and make quick decisions in traffic.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and a copy of their driving record by email to:
Sacred Heart Center